Floods: Number of evacuees continues to rise in Kelantan, Terengganu

Floods: Number of evacuees continues to rise in Kelantan, Terengganu

KUALA LUMPUR, Dec 4 -- Terengganu and Kelantan continue to record an increase in the number of flood evacuees compared to yesterday, while Raub became the first district in Pahang to be hit by the floods during the monsoon season this year.

The number of flood victims continued to increase in Terengganu to 2,802 people from 781 families as of 8 am today compared to 1,817 people from 503 families recorded at 10 pm last night.

Terengganu Disaster Management Committee Secretariat chief Lieutenant Colonel (PA) Che Adam A Rahman said Setiu has the highest number of temporary relief centre (PPS) at 23, followed by Besut (19), Dungun (10), Marang (nine), Kuala Nerus (six), Kuala Terengganu (five), Kemaman (three) and Hulu Terengganu (one).

He said that Marang recorded the largest number of evacuees at 778 people from 204 families compared to 681 victims from 181 families reported last night, following the opening of two more PPS bringing to tal number of PPS operating in the districtcto nine.

Meanwhile, data from the Department of Irrigation and Drainage (DID) shows that the level of two rivers has exceeded the danger level, namely Sungai Marang in Pengkalan Berangan at 2.83 meters (above the danger point at 2.7m) and Sungai Nerus in Kampung Langkap, Setiu at 21.50m (above danger level at 21m ).

In KELANTAN, the number of flood evacuees in Kota Bharu and Pasir Puteh increased to 283 people as at 8 am today, compared to 120 reported yesterday. All evacuees from 75 families are currently taking shelter at nine PPS.

According to the Social Welfare Department's InfoBencana portal, three PPS had been opened in Kota Bharu, namely, at Sekolah Kebangsaan (SK) Melor which house 23 people, SK Tiong (49) and Islamic Outreach Abim Centre in Kok Lanas (11).

Pasir Puteh recorded the highest number of victims thus far with six PPS opened, namely Dewan Kompleks Kamil which houses 67 people, SK Changgai (17) and SK Bukit Jawa 2 (37), SK Kamil 3 (25), SK Sungai Petai (23) and SK Wakaf Raja (31).

Meanwhile, the Drainage and Irrigation Department (JPS) through its publicinfobanjir.water.gov.my website said as at 8 am today, the water level at Sungai Golok in Rantau Panjang was at 8.98m, slightly above the warning level of 8m and continued to show an upward trend.

The water level at Sungai Golok in Jenob Tanah Merah was at 22.22m, surpassing the warning point of 21.5m and also with an upward trend.

In PAHANG, Raub became the first district hit by the floods this year, when 55 people from 19 families were evacuated to PPS, early this morning.

Pahang Fire and Rescue Department (JBPM) Zone Three chief Sharulnizam Nasir said continuous rain since 6 pm yesterday had caused low-lying areas in four villages in the district to be flooded from 12.30 am.

Meanwhile, the SWD portal reported that four PPSs were opened, namely the Batu Talam UMNO hall which housed six people from four families, the Kampung Kuala Semantan Mosque (19 people, six families), the Kampung Ulu Sungai Community Hall (20 people, six families) and Sekolah Kebangsaan Tersang (10 people, three families).

In PERAK, only PPS at Sekolah Kebangsaan Changkat Lobak, Bagan Serai in Kerian district is still operating as at 8 am today.

A spokesman for the Perak Disaster Management Committee Secretariat said a total of 27 flood evacuees from the eight families are being housed in the PPS while waiting for the stagnant flood waters in their village Kampung Matang Tengah, Beriah, to recede.

The weather in most places in Perak this morning has been good, while various agencies including the Malaysian Civil Defence Force (APM), Royal Malaysia Police, Malaysian Volunteer Corps Department (Rela) and Social Welfare Department (SWD) are still monitoring the situation and PPS involved.